Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Composting Dog Waste

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/9/06 17:05, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't compost my dog's pooh myself but that is
because I suspect it doesn't have much goodness in it as far as compost
is concerned. Her diet consists of a lot of fibre and I don't think
there is much in that, however long it is left.

Perhaps you don't know of the benefits to compost heaps of horse, cow,
and sheep manure.

I shall talk to the vet
next time I see him.

No doubt he'll confirm that herbivores produce great fertiliser from a
diet even higher in fibre than your dog's.

Dog poo seems to take forever to break down and IME any previously
undiscovered ones lurking in bits of the garden, grow a horrible fur coat
and linger on for ever! I certainly wouldn't compost it and I believe you
can buy special bins that break it down in some form of chemical compound.

I believe you can. You put them in a hole in the ground, put some
chemicals in them and drop in the dog pooh. I don't know how effective
they are. As for it not breaking down, my experience has been at first
hand in our park where certain offenders do not pick up after their
dogs. It certainly stays around for ages and depending on what they
have been eating, sometimes goes mouldy. On that note, I shall leave
it. What a subject for conversation just before supper
--
June Hughes