Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
ant[_5_] ant[_5_] is offline

Default Getting rid of ants

John Savage wrote:
"Dave -Turner" writes:
from what ive read - mix some borax powder with some powdered
sugar, they take it into their nests and eat it and get food
poisoning. interestingly borax is used in some French caviars, but
despite its use as a pesticide its LD50 is similar to that of table
salt. I still wouldnt wanna eat it though

My Mum has an early well-worn recipe book, the collected wisdom of
late 19th through to mid-20th century Australian women. Along with
recipes for jugged hare, making your own vinegar from plums, and
making bread using wild yeasts harvested from the air and cultured on
mashed potato, was a method for keeping milk for up to 3 days without
refrigeration. It involved disolving borax (at quantities something
like a tablespoonful per pint, from memory) in the milk.

Evidently, it must work without poisoning the consumer, though I've
never tried it.

Boron's a mineral, isn't it?

I'm planning to get a crapload of borax and sugar, as the ant thing is huge
on my place, and every struggling tree I see has a parade of ants on it. I'm
a-gonna git them!

Am a bit concerned about animals though, especially the dogs. Do they eat
it? Do they get poisoned?

--
ant
Don't try to email me;