Old 01-09-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Ipomoea

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
Morning Glories.

I planted a few this year using a method I read about in the paper in
early June, which was to soak them in warm water for a few hours, then
plant two in each small pot with compost, then pick out the weakling. The
resultant plants have grown up poles to a height of four feet or so but
refuse to flower.

When I was in Spain last week there was a magnificent display of them just
rambling all over the top of a wall, not climbing or anything. Hundreds of
the superb blue flowers I was looking forward to.

Any ideas on why they don't flower? I used two different packets of seeds
from two different suppliers, different varieties too, but no flowers on
either. I suspect I should put them in earlier without soaking, but the
article indicated that they should flower either way.

All I can do is more or less reiterate (iterate) what other folk have said.
The annual (heavenly blue) is a real prima Donna.
Sow April (indoors) and plant into final position at the end of June will
give flowers late July until the first frosts.
The above assumes you transplant several times.
In my area a late June semi chill or a slight breeze will bugga the lot :-)