Old 02-09-2006, 07:03 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.religion.christian,rec.gardens
paghat paghat is offline

Default And some people say there's no God...

In article . com, "thomas
p." wrote:

Jangchub skrev:

On 30 Aug 2006 03:48:22 -0700, "thomas p."
wrote:

Mind is not a thing; it is not energy. It is a process in the brain.
When the brain ceases to exist, there is no mind.

You have no evidence of this, so how can you be so certain?

I have no evidence that my furniture does not discuss politics as soon
as I fall asleep. In other words, there is no evidence or objective
reason to think anything else.

When I was a wee child I worried that all the stuff in my room came alive
when I fell asleep, & if any object felt mistreated or ignored, it might
want to avenge itself upon me. For this reason I started reading books
instead of playing with toys, as I could not otherwise disguise my
favorites.

Some of us do learn to reason a bit more clearly as we mature. Others
never outgrow belief in the supernatural. Perhaps if I'd convinced myself
my posessions wanted to protect me, instead of worried they might want to
punish me, I would've clung to the belief longer, or to some similar
belief in the Invisible Friend.

If that's the case, "maturing" into rationalism is inspired by a desire to
overcome irrational fears, & failure to "mature" into rationalism is a
desire to cling to irrational feelings of well being. And the impetus to
rational or a tendency toward belief in the impossible have similarly
nutty beginnings.

-paghat the ratgirl

You don't have to believe it, nobody is pushing it down your throat,
but to criticize something you are not familiar with is like me trying
to make believe I am an expert on quantum physics and mechanics.

You made a claim. So far you have been unable to back it up with
anything of substance. Instead you have posted a continuous stream of
insults, and now you are making assertions about what unnamed
scientists believe.

--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com.html