Old 02-09-2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Compostman Compostman is offline

Default Anyone use coffee grinds for your garden?

"The Cat Whisperer" wrote in message
Would grinds be good for my tomato plants??

Yes

"Compostman" wrote in message

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

From what I've read, you can add it to the garden or compost heap. They
apparently add nitrogen, so I wouldn't use them directly on vegetables,
but I would use them on my flowers - especially the acid loving ones. I
read one comment somewhere that slugs don't like coffee grinds but worms
do....a perfect match.

I collect about 15 pounds of coffee grounds per day from the Starbucks 3
blocks away. I compost most of it, but also through it on the flower
beds. Coffee grounds are close to pH neutral (the acid in coffee is very
solvent and goes in the drink). They contain nitrogen, but not enough to
cause any hard, but enough so that you don't have to worry about the
grounds robbing your soil of nitrogen while it decomposes.

Also, it makes the yard smell interesting.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7