Old 02-09-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Compostman Compostman is offline

Default Anyone use coffee grinds for your garden?

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Frank Miles wrote:
In article . com,
James wrote:

A local coffee house gives away free used grinds. How should I used
them?

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm suspicious about using with corn, whether
composted
or direct. My corn was really stunted last year -- with small but direct
application
to the soil; and less stunted this year with some that had been
composted.

Hopefully next year's garden will demonstrate whether this was due to the
coffee
or some other unintended circumstance.

-frank

One thing to remember about coffee grounds is that they are acidic. If
your soil is already acidic you may need to add a little lime if you use a
lot of grounds.

George

This is not true. Coffee are close to pH neutral. People assume that
because coffee is acidic, then the grounds are as well, but that's not true.
The acid in coffee beans is very water soluble, leaving the grounds with
very little acid remaining.
John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7