Old 02-09-2006, 11:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Grey water on gardens

"Chookie" wrote in

From what I understand, the fear is that some of your intestinal

bugs have
made it into the water from the shower, or via your clothes, and

will then
give you gastro when you eat the vegies that they have landed on.

Given that
most keen gardeners shovel you-know-what on their gardens anyway,

this seems a
bit hysterical. I wrote to Gardening Australia once asking why a

bit of human
faecal matter was such a worry given Pete's enthusiasm for ordure,

and they
said they were just following what the water/health authorities

said. They
carefully refrained from comment on the realities of gardening!

Did you see the show where Peter went to a garden that was vitually
run on grey water (maybe 2-3 months ago)? Very lush but the veggie
garden had become water repellant. Cundall said that it was because
of the chemicals in the grey water and not to use it any more.