Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Getting rid of ants

"SG1" writes:
I use cabbage dust around the ant holes. Works wonders under the hills
hoist.
Inside I use honey & borax powder. We used to be over run in the kitchen
when we first moved in, took about 3 years to convince them the kitchen was
MY domain not their's.

There seem to be two broad categories of ants that you'll find in the
kitchen: those after sweet things such as sugar, honey, jam, etc., and
those after meat or fat. I expect the honey + borax lure will only get
the first ones. Those in the second category love cheese and bacon crumbs
from a pizza, but I found they wouldn't touch sugar or honey.

I do wonder whether there might be meat-loving ants in the garden that
go around collecting grubs off the cabbages, and aphids off radish
leaves, etc. Can anyone vouch for this? Maybe not all ants in the garden
are undesirable.