Old 02-09-2006, 02:04 PM posted to aus.gardens
Farm1 Farm1 is offline

Default Following on from greywater...

"Staycalm" wrote in message

What about rainwater tanks in urban areas? What's involved with

fitting a
small tank to the house?

Depending on where you gutters are directing the flow from the roof
and where you plan to put the tank, you may need to have the gutters
redirected. By that I mean that if the downflow pipe is currently at
the front of the hosue nearest the road and the rain from the roof
goes inot hte down pipe and into the storm water drains, but the only
place you have for a tank is at the back of the house then you may
need to have a drainpipe installed at the back of the house and the
gutters lowered to reverse the water flow to the back of the house
rather than to the front.

Are there companies who do this? i.e. not just
deliver a tank to your door.

Yes. Look in the Yellow pages.

Who here has one? Do you use it a lot?

I do but I live in the country and it is my only source of water for
the house. I use dam and bore water for the garden.

Unless you can get one that holds a fair bit of water or live in an
area with high rainfall, it may not be financially worthwhile but your
own particular circumstances and location will be deciding factors.
Bigger is better if it's going to be any use at all. Sprinklers use a
lot of water if you use them.