Old 02-09-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris[_3_] Chris[_3_] is offline

Default How can I succeed with cabbages?

In article , david taylor
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
: How can I succeed with cabbages?
: Specifically - how can I best net them against butterflies?

The general advice is useful, but you will need a fine and comprehensive net
to keep off large white butterflies. They seem to have no problem getting
into my fruit cage mesh around 15mm.

Can you suggest a specification for the netting?

Brasicca pest are very active in high summer and I tend to grow other summer
vegetables and save brasiccas for autumn and winter.

Would it be safe to plant out unprotected cabbages now?
Or when would it be OK?

I'm afraid last year I used a systemic insecticide for sprouting broccoli
and brussel sprouts-it got both over the pest peak in the one allowed
application.

Which insecticide would you recommend?
(I haven't used chemicals up-to now ... but am willing to do so.)

Also - I have found by experiment that broccoli needs no protection at
all.
You just let the caterpillars eat all the leaves.
The plants recover in time for the harvest in Spring.
--
Chris