Old 02-09-2006, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue[_3_] Sue[_3_] is offline

Default Phlox Paniculata Question

"Andrew Newton" wrote
I've seen a very deep purple coloured phlox in a pub garden and would
like to grow something similar. Can anyone recommend varieties in this
colour, my initial thoughts might be "amethyst" but the trouble with
on-line pictures is that they are not always accurate in colour
especially for shades of blue and purple

I've just read a Carol Klein article about Phlox in a back issue of
Garden News. If it's any help she says: "If you like the dramatic, there
are rich purples, and Phlox paniculata "Amethyst" is a very attractive
variety". No picture though.

There's also a deep purple one with variegated foliage if you like the
contrast, which was bred by Alan Bloom and called "Harlequin", although
she says it's not quite so vigorous.

Was the one you saw at a pub nearby? Perhaps the landlord/lady might be
willing to let you have a piece of theirs if you asked them; it's worth
a try.

--
Sue