Old 02-09-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Phlox Paniculata Question

On 2/9/06 17:00, in article , "Andrew
Newton" wrote:
snip

I've just read a Carol Klein article about Phlox in a back issue of
Garden News. If it's any help she says: "If you like the dramatic, there
are rich purples, and Phlox paniculata "Amethyst" is a very attractive
variety". No picture though.

There's also a deep purple one with variegated foliage if you like the
contrast, which was bred by Alan Bloom and called "Harlequin", although
she says it's not quite so vigorous.

Was the one you saw at a pub nearby? Perhaps the landlord/lady might be
willing to let you have a piece of theirs if you asked them; it's worth
a try.

Thanks for the info Sue. Unfortunately the pub is about 80 miles from home.
Perhaps the moral of the story is to always carry a pruning knife and a
supply of plastic bags wherever you go !

We looked P. 'Amethyst' up in Plant Finder and it says it's 'misapplied'.
You could try looking at P. Lilactime or Purple Flame. But there are quite
a few that description could apply to.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk