Old 02-09-2006, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin Janet Galpin is offline

Default How can I succeed with cabbages?

The message ]
from Chris ] contains these words:

In article , david taylor
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
: How can I succeed with cabbages?
: Specifically - how can I best net them against butterflies?

The general advice is useful, but you will need a fine and
comprehensive net
to keep off large white butterflies. They seem to have no problem getting
into my fruit cage mesh around 15mm.

Can you suggest a specification for the netting?

10 mm netting is fine

See
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/H...ect%20Netting/

Also - I have found by experiment that broccoli needs no protection at
all.
You just let the caterpillars eat all the leaves.
The plants recover in time for the harvest in Spring.

I've also wondered whether to take this laissez-faire approach as I
agree that the plants seem to recover well. I have wondered though
whether they are slightly weakened by losing most of their leaves and so
I've never had the courage to leave them completely. Presumably you have
had good results - so I'll take that as evidence that it's OK to relax
with purple sprouting!