Old 20-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Counting frogs

"ned" wrote in message
Martin Sykes wrote:
snip
However, I think frogs can change sex from male to female
depending on the temperature so it's probably possible to work
out the likely ratio of female to male at a given temperature.

Have you any corroboration for that?
Temperature will certainly dictate sexual activity but I doubt they
change sex.

Just a literary, not a scientific source. In Jurassic Park ( Michael
Crichton), the all-female dinosaurs manage to breed because their DNA is
spliced with frog dna.

I've just checked though and it looks like its only true for some reptiles
and fish ( all crocodiles ) and its the developing embryo which changes, not
the adult.

Sorry.

Martin