Old 03-09-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cannas in Kentucky?

"amyky123" wrote in message
Hello! I have some cannas that we planted this spring. They have done
beautifully, but I'm wondering how I need to winterize them. Some people
have said that they absolutely need to be dug and brought inside, some
people have said that they will do okay as long as we put several inches
of
mulch on top.
Also, we have a few different colors. There are some pink (almost a salmon
color), some red, and some yellow/orange. All of them have produced seeds
(I've got about 100 seeds already). I've read that they should be nicked
and
soaked in warm water for several days, until the root sprouts. Is there
anything
specific I need to do until spring? Do I keep them in a cool place, dark
place,
etc?
I'm near Louisville, I think we're zone 6.
Any suggestions?

What Jangclub said is correct. But, if your cannas are planted next to
something that retains heat, like the foundation of your house, you *might*
get away with leaving them in the ground. What's the point, though? If you
take care of the rhizomes by bringing them indoors, they get better and
better each year. Why risk killing them?