Old 03-09-2006, 07:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
horselover horselover is offline

Default Tomatillo help needed

Matthew Reed wrote:

When they are fully ripe, they fall off. I like to pick them a little
before that. Pick them when the paper husk cracks and the fruit inside is
starting to yellow a little (but it'll still be green, not really yellow)
and you'll be pretty close.

I used mixed jalapeno and serrano peppers when I made it.

Bob

They have a ways to go I'd guess. The husks are quite large, and only half
full. I think I have a bumper tomatillo crop heading my way

Do tomatillos take up a lot of room in a garden? I bought some seeds
this past spring and noted that the package says to plant them in the
fall. I have a very small yard (35'x 35') so I don't have a lot of space
to devote to any one thing. But given that I can't buy them here (I live
in France) my only way to get them is grow them myself. I was thinking
of trying them in large pots. I currently have two pots with parsnips
growing in them and they seem to be doing well. (Parsnips are also very
hard to find here.)