Old 02-09-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack[_2_] Jack[_2_] is offline

Default Very high-intensity flourescent lights

The Guy at the hydoponics shop was telling me about the flouros, he
said that the bulbs are better than HID because they are full spectrum
and are disigned to put out more light in the range that plants use,
and are cooler than HID, but you need more of them so... If your going
for a system he said that mixed MH and Sodium which gives a full
spectrum can be more cost effective in the long run.

One of the other tricks that he was telling me about was putting diode
lights, like the plastic rope lights, in the plants, you can put them
very close and wrap a plants that need more light in them because they
produce little heat. Plus the put light to the underside of the leaf.

That being said I went out to lowes and bought a bunch of shop lights
for $5 each then got the econimy pack of "sunlight" full spectrum bulbs
(cheeper than grow lights) and one of "plant" grow lights, I run one of
each in the lights, they do great for a 60 x 24 shelf. My phals like
them and my catts bloom under them too.

Jack