Old 03-09-2006, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Winter is iccumen in

On 3/9/06 11:13, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article . com,
"DavePoole Torquay" writes:

|... The sheer density of foliage here at the moment
| means that vast amounts of water are being pumped out of the soil by
| the hour and it would take a near monsoonal storm every day to
| counteract that.

Here in the drylands of Cambridge, August has delivered just that.

I wonder if there are any regulations pro or con people building water
reservoirs for their own use? If we are going to get dryer weather and
longer hot spells, that may become desirable with new build houses, for
example. I'm remembering that my aunt and uncle in Jersey have a reservoir
under their lawn because they're not on mains water. Normally, it's kept
filled up by rainwater, I think but if need be, they can buy water by the
tanker load. However, the dim recesses of memory tell me that water boards
were not keen on private reservoirs, possibly because they would reduce
their own revenue.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk