Old 03-09-2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Cannas in Kentucky?

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:26:37 -0400, madgardener
wrote:

first thing, what you heard about growing seeds of canna are true.

Are you saying it's true or not true? I said growers rarely propagate
cannas from seed. Is that what you understood me to say?

If you're in zone 6, since your canna's are already planted, the
question is how deeply are they planted?

Canna's will perish in zone 6 if you have sustained temperatures in
single digits for as little as 10 hours. The ground can freeze to 18
inches or more. If these cannas are ones you really like, I recommend
my original suggestions.

Since yours are growing good, don't panic, there's no need to dig them
up and bring them inside the garage. I have better luck with mine in the
ground. But if you've ever successfully wintered rhizomes or bulbs
through, then go ahead and do it that way. I know people who have no
problem and great success. There's a trick to it with peat moss, but as
good as I am, I'm not been successful and maybe someone can walk you
through the process who has had continual returns.

Actually, I said to dig them up leaving the soil on the rhizomes and
put them into a bushel basket.