Old 03-09-2006, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat shazzbat is offline

Default radishes ready ?

"terryd" wrote in message

How can i tell when my radishes are ready to pull. I only have about a
dozen in a tub so can't afford to get it wrong. They have shot up and
have a load of big green leaves at the moment.

Thanks

There's always a bit of a gamble with crops below ground, particularly
radishes which have a habit of making a convincing plant but an unconvincing
root.

Gently push some of the soil away from where the plant meets the soil, and
you should be able to see if it's a thickish root, and if the shoulder of it
looks broad enough, pull it. Do you know what variety they are, and when
they were sown?

Steve