Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dusty Dusty is offline

Default Very high-intensity flourescent lights

"danny" wrote in
:

I bloom quite a bit under normal fluorescent shop lights. I wanted
the more intense T5 fixture so I could have a taller space for
blooming out the slippers and other stuff with tall spikes. HID
lights can also suck for blooming stuff like phals, the flower
arrangement comes out awful. I guess putting two HID lights on one of
the circular light movers might correct that problem, I have one on a
linear track and it helps a little but they still come out better
under fluorescents. -danny

I'm not sure if your are getting all good information from the Guy at
the hydoponics shop. I've looked up the T-5 lamps specifications and I
only see about a 10% gain in light over a standard 40 watt. However
being small as they are you may be able to cram a lot of lamps close
together and get a higher amount of light.You could also do that with T-
8 lamps which are a lot less costly. Here's the specs as I found them
between T-5's & T-12's;

T-5 lamp Width 5/8 in. Length 48 in. 28 Watts Rated Life
36000 Hours
F28W/T5/830 Color Temperature 3000K Lumens 2900 Initial/2726 Mean
F28W/T5/865/ECO Color Temperature 6500K Lumens 2700 Initial/2480 Mean

t-12 lamp standard Fluorescent like in shop light Width 1.59 Length 48
in 40 Watts
40 Watt - T12 - Full Spectrum Fluorescent
F/40T12EX Color Temperature 5765K Mean Lumens 2290 Rated Life 20000
hours @ 12 hours a day
F40/DX/ALTO Color Temperature 6500K Mean Lumens 2025 Rated Life 28800
hours @ 12 hours a day

Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty