Old 03-09-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny danny is offline

Default Very high-intensity flourescent lights

Apparently these are high output T5 fixtures. The bulbs that came with my
fixture say they are 54W / 4200 lumens each, 216 watts for the four tube
fixture. That lumen output doesn't sound all that great for the amount of
power but it's ok I guess. They claim to be some sort of grow bulb so the
lumens/watt may not be the highest possible? I just did a quick search and
found another 54W grow bulb that claimed to be 5000 initial / 4700 mean
lumens. The eight tube fixtures are 432 Watts, so their output should be
comparable to my 400W metal halide fixtures but spread more evenly..
-danny

"Dusty" wrote in message
. 17.102...
"danny" wrote in
:
I'm not sure if your are getting all good information from the Guy at
the hydoponics shop. I've looked up the T-5 lamps specifications and I
only see about a 10% gain in light over a standard 40 watt. However
being small as they are you may be able to cram a lot of lamps close
together and get a higher amount of light.You could also do that with T-
8 lamps which are a lot less costly. Here's the specs as I found them
between T-5's & T-12's;

T-5 lamp Width 5/8 in. Length 48 in. 28 Watts Rated Life
36000 Hours
F28W/T5/830 Color Temperature 3000K Lumens 2900 Initial/2726 Mean
F28W/T5/865/ECO Color Temperature 6500K Lumens 2700 Initial/2480 Mean
Grow well and bloom magnificently
dusty