Old 04-09-2006, 08:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
horselover horselover is offline

Default Tomatillo help needed

zxcvbob wrote:
horselover wrote:

Matthew Reed wrote:

When they are fully ripe, they fall off. I like to pick them a
little before that. Pick them when the paper husk cracks and the
fruit inside is starting to yellow a little (but it'll still be
green, not really yellow) and you'll be pretty close.

I used mixed jalapeno and serrano peppers when I made it.

Bob

They have a ways to go I'd guess. The husks are quite large, and only
half full. I think I have a bumper tomatillo crop heading my way

Do tomatillos take up a lot of room in a garden? I bought some seeds
this past spring and noted that the package says to plant them in the
fall. I have a very small yard (35'x 35') so I don't have a lot of
space to devote to any one thing. But given that I can't buy them here
(I live in France) my only way to get them is grow them myself. I was
thinking of trying them in large pots. I currently have two pots with
parsnips growing in them and they seem to be doing well. (Parsnips are
also very hard to find here.)

They grow about like large sprawling tomato plants. You need more than
one tomatillo plant for pollination. Fall sounds like the worst
possible time to plant them. I plant them indoors early in the spring,
but you can also direct-sow them when the soil starts to warm.

Bob

We have what I think of as warm winters here - never a day when the temp
stays below freezing. I think of the winter here as 5 months of early
spring! I'd guess this climate is equivalent to zone 9. Does this make
enough difference to allow fall planting. The seed package says to plant
them in the fall, so I'm guessing they have some reason to say that.

I was wondering if I'd need to plant two. Good to realize that they are
like tomatoes - not a surprise, I guess. Thanks!