Old 03-09-2006, 06:07 AM posted to aus.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Grey water on gardens

"ant" wrote in message
George.com wrote:
"Chookie" wrote in message

They belong at the lower end of your digestive tract, and cause
problems if they get into the upper part.

I will defer to your superior knowledge on this. Best way I think, in
an urban area at least, to use grey water is to use it a second time
around to flush the toilet.

When my tank got very low a few years back, that's exactly what I did. I

put
tubs in the shower to get the water, then put that water into the cistern.

running slap bang in the centre of hamilton is a big river that is never
liable to run dry from which the city draws all its water. The major
constraint on water usage is actually capacity issues of drawing out and
treating drinking water, rather than low flows. Major upgrades of treatment
stations are needed every so many years to keep pace with growing demand.
Given such a scenario, it strikes me the best way to dramatically conserve
water is not to put grey water out on to gardens but to use it twice over
through the house with a low flush bog.

Alternately a compost toilet and rainwater for drinking/watering the garden
with grey water out in to the garden. A closed cycle like that is long term
sustainably desirable. The reflow through the bog idea perhaps more straight
forward and likely to reduce water usage in our city by around 30-40%.

rob