Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Ipomoea

, I, Marvo, say :

On Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:22:25 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:

Morning Glories.

I planted a few this year using a method I read about in the paper
in early June, which was to soak them in warm water for a few hours,
then plant two in each small pot with compost, then pick out the
weakling. The resultant plants have grown up poles to a height of
four feet or so but refuse to flower.

When I was in Spain last week there was a magnificent display of
them just rambling all over the top of a wall, not climbing or
anything. Hundreds of the superb blue flowers I was looking forward
to.

Any ideas on why they don't flower? I used two different packets of
seeds from two different suppliers, different varieties too, but no
flowers on either. I suspect I should put them in earlier without
soaking, but the article indicated that they should flower either
way.

The annual ipomoea do take a while to flower. I sense that they need
to be a certain height. I have some on a fence, some on canes in a
pot, some growing up my wisteria etc. None flower until they get to
about 6 feet but now they are flowering well. Give yours a chance if
they are the annual ones. I think they will flower very soon.
Sowing them too early in Spring is a risk, as if put outside too soon
they die of cold. On the other hand, I have some in flower which have
self-seeded from last year! Timing is important.
Once they do flower it is very easy to save seed. I have not bought
any seed for some years.
Have you fed them with tomato food?

[feeds them with Tomorite]

I have now.