Old 04-09-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_1_] Sacha[_1_] is offline

Default Cross between leek and garlic?

On 4/9/06 05:06, in article
,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/9/06 18:42, in article
, "Robert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
:I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
: and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Common name I believe is elephant garlic, I grew it, it takes over and to my
taste is not all that special

Thanks to you and Russel. I'll look it up.

OT

If you suffer from leg cramps one of the offenders that bring them on
is eating any of the alliums. There is no "cure" as far as I know
though temprory relief is obtained by stretching or relaxing the
tendons concerned.

You can search for such techniques online but I am not sure where. I
get them at night if I stretch in my sleep. That's the night over as
far as sleep goes.

I always get awful cramp in hot countries which is of course, my own fault
for not drinking enough water. But I find that if it does wake me up, I
drink a glass of water immediately and walk around a little which does seem
to un-knot the cramp. On rare occasions they have been so bad that not
only am I nearly weeping with pain, the muscle affected is sore for two or
three days afterwards but the walking it off thing does seem to work.
However, I had no idea that the allium family could make the tendency
worse - very interesting, particularly as I probably eat more garlic when
I'm in such places!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk