Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default just aquired a new allotment

, I, Marvo, say :

The message k
from "Someone Here" contains these words:

"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message

have just
aquired an allotment
I want to get it ready for planting spring of next year.

Sodium Chlorate.
Total vegetation killer - cannot grow anything for six months.

Water it in.

Leave it for a week or two for the vegetation to die down.

Please don't follow this advice; it will be very obvious to
neighbouring alottmenters what you have done and won't make you
popular. Sodium chlorate is retained in soil for a long time,
possibly much longer than 6 months depending on the soil.type. It may
affect plants growing some distance away of they have far-reaching
feeder roots (such as, the plum tree on next door's plot.) It's also
toxic to birds, and people.

When I had an allotment there were very strict rules on the use of
chemicals. Damaging an adjoining plot/ polluting other peoples crops
meant instant eviction. Best to check your agreement.

Janet.

In addition, if you grow veg in NaClO3-treated soil I wouldn't eat it.

Glyphosate?