Old 04-09-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default just aquired a new allotment

Uncle Marvo wrote:
(snip)
I listen to all arguments, until I realise that I'm listening to someone who
knows less than me.

I don't know more than you - but pay attention all the same. First,
glyphosate is a chemical. That, to me, is enough. Systematic it may be,
but some say that some plants will become resistant and then spread and
then we'll get weeds everywhere resistant to Roundup or whatever which
then will spread to veggies etc. Myth? I don't know. I don't care. If I
get more weeds because you guys can't be bothered bending down and
picking up the plants you don't like and which you call weeds - won't
make much difference to me because I do that already. Second, and
last, I don't like change. I don't like change and I'm worried of new
stuff. I'm not a biologist - though I got the RHS2, I'm even a Permie
now and I garden since I'm *that* high. I have no need to tame nature -
no need to get obsessed with weeds either. To me it's a bonus if I get
lots of crocosmia on one side of the garden - though it grows at the
same pace as horse raddish - but which one is the weed? I'd rather take
out the latter - but perhaps you'd prefer the first one? If one plant
doesn't fight for nutrients, lights and moisture from another, why use
chemicals? If it does, just pull it out. Simple.

I hope this is scientific enough for you )