Old 04-09-2006, 05:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default torpedo grass weed

Dilbert Firestorm said:

anyone know how to get rid of this?

I've got torpedo grass in the island garden.

I thought about covering the island up with old newspapers & plastic
mulch. but then I read that TG just goes through it.

http://experts.about.com/q/Lawns-725/Torpedo-grass.htm

it mentions using sugar or baking soda as an organic remedy.

kind of an odd way to do this.

Sugar will feed microbes that help keep the soil healthy, nothing more. The
theory is; weeds don't like "healthy" soils, and thrive in poor ones. So,
if you keep the soil in good shape, you won't have the weed. True, to some
extent, but sugar's a rather expensive treatment, for the results you're
likely to get.

Panicum repens is sensitive to both glyphosate and imazapyr. Both are
broad-spectrum herbicides, and will most likely kill any herbaceous growth
they touch. If the P. repens is in an area with plants you'd like to keep,
you'd best stick with pulling by hand. If you don't mind starting that bed
over, then several treatments of the above chemicals (according to strength
recommendations on packaging) should do the trick.

HTH
--
Eggs

Do vegetarians eat animal crackers?