Old 04-09-2006, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Naubergines

Robert wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
:
: "Robert" wrote :
:
:
: We have grown them on the plot this year, first time of trying. There
are
: long purple ones and fat rounded ones. What do we do with them is what I
: would like to know
:
:
: Cut into thick slices, drizzle with olive oil, put slices of halloumi
: (squeaky) cheese on top, and grill or bake till well browned. Delicious.
:
Thank you, will try it

You could sprinkle the slices with coarse sea salt first, and let the
salt draw out the excess water for a couple of hoursin the fridge, then
wipe salt and moisture and follow rest of recipe.

You could also make "Naubergine caviar", which basically involves
cutting the naubergine in two lengthways, seasoning them with salt and
pepper and a drizzle of olive oil, baking in the oven (with top element
on) till soft and slightly charred on top, then scooping out flesh with
spoon and mashing it up. Mix with more good virgin olive oil, and
serve with roast lamb as a sort of sauce, or on crusty bread as a
bruschetta sort of thing.

Naubergines are also delicious chopped up in small cubes and included
in any tomato based pasta sauce - be sure to saute them first, rather
than just throw them in last - they will have better flavour if sauteed
rather than stewed.

You could also look up a good recipe for moussaka, a divine kind of
greek lamb mince and sliced naubergine trifle :-)

Finally, naubergines are an essential ingredient in a good ratatouille.
My recipe: saute finely sliced onions, then add and saute individually
in very good quality olive oil all of the following: sliced peppers red
preferably, sliced courgettes, sliced naubergines, sliced mushrooms
(optional). Mix all individually sauted veg together in a big stove
top pan, and add very ripe skinned tomatoes, or tins of toms (they
generally taste better than even the best tomatoes that can be grown
under our climes). I generally also add a bit of concentrated tomato
paste for extra tomatoeyness.
Add a generous amount of fresh chopped herbs - I generally pluck what's
pluckable out of the herb beds, but basic, oregano, marjoram, thyme,
parsley would be good - season with sea salt and coarsely ground
pepper, put the lid on and let simmer for a good hour.
It's even better re-heated, and it goes wonderfully with any kind of
roast meat and new spuds.

You've done it, I'm hungry now.

Cat(h)