Old 04-09-2006, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(in Normandy\) David \(in Normandy\) is offline

Default just aquired a new allotment

There are chemicals and chemicals, it is a question of degree of toxicity
and using the right chemical in the correct way in the correct place.
Someone suggested using Sodium Chlorate on a veg plot - to me that is way
over the top. Not only would it kill the weeds but also probably the
earthworms and beneficial insects and remain in the soil exhibiting its
toxicity for many months.

I use Glyphosate and bramble specific weedkillers (reluctantly) in some
heavily weeded areas. Our land had been left untouched by the previous
owners for approx 15 years and was a jungle of brambles, bindweed, knettles,
docks, thistles and elder flower trees etc. My "garden" is over an acre in
size and I simply don't have the time, physical health or inclination to be
bent double "weeding" that area by hand. Chemicals are just another 'tool'
in the garden shed and can do a good job when used correctly.

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk