Old 05-09-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] delcolja@mail.ab.edu is offline

Default Very high-intensity flourescent lights

OrchidKitty wrote:
This is sort of off the thread, but because my sunroom growing area is
above an unheated garage, my floor is cold, especially when the
temperatures are below freezing. It has been my experience that orchids
in S/H really don't like having cold feet. So last winter I bought the
largest-available heated seedling mat and put it under the humidity
trays of the Phals and Catts. So I had fluorescent light above and the
heated mat below. Boy, the plants grew like crazy--especially those in
S/H. The heated seedling mats don't put out that much heat, but it's
enough.

Good choice. Propagation mats are built for the job, unlike christmas
tree lights.

J. Del Col