Old 05-09-2006, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default Bloody foxes

In message , Sacha
writes
On 4/9/06 16:49, in article , "Brian Wakem"
wrote:

snip

We covered our lawn in chicken wire. After 12 months you can't see it, and
nothing can dig.

In our case it was to prevent badgers digging rather than foxes.

How do you mow it?

We use green plastic 50mm mesh (ex Mole Valley Farmers) as it
'disappears' virtually immediately - just lay it flat and pin it down
with some bits of bent wire. Within 6-8 weeks it is safe to mow using
the petrol rotary mower. We have used this method for some years as we
feed the local clan (up to 12 badgers in an evening) and occasionally
(not often) one or two will decide that a specific part of the lawn
(always the lawn, never the shrub borders) contains leatherjackets or
worms that are particularly tasty and will dig a couple of scrapes. The
mesh puts a stop to it and strangely they then give up as far as our
garden is concerned and we have no more problems for several months.

--
Robert