Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Deer repellant?

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:
tenplay wrote:

Deer often come into our yard and munch on some of the garden plants.
What can we do to prevent this? A neighbor said that human urine
diluted and sprinkled near the plants the deer like to eat would work.
Is it true? Are there any alternative repellants? Thanks for any
advice/suggestions.

There is a motion detecting water sprinkler that might work.

Carl

Sprinkler may work but only physical barriers, electic fences or loose
dogs will deter deer. They get used to odors like human urine and
substances must be reapplied after rain. Netting around critical
plants works for me. They could easily trample it down but do not.
Neighbor was sold some expensive fox urine guaranteed to work. It did
not. I told her she was gyped as I've used fox urine as odor mask
while deer hunting.

Frank