Old 05-09-2006, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7 wendy7 is offline

Default CITES plants and hybrids: AOS judging & showing

Oh my Al? Could I borrow your antennae plz?
No seriously, you should be writing books.
Just one question, as none of this info affects me, but shouldn't the
guidelines of each society be the same?

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Al wrote:
Of all the mistakes I made in that post, the most glaring is probably
that I didn't make it clear: it was paph Ho Chi Minh that was being
sold by tray fulls at local shows, not the species vietnamensis. Apparently Antec
made and sold and gave a way an awful lot of them...

...and A Paph. vietnamense was shown by Piping Creek at an AOS
judging 3 months before the one at the Paph. Forum in Feb 2006 was
shown by USBG. This invalidated the CHM for the one awarded at the
Paph Forum. I was mistaken that an AM has been awarded to Paph
vietnamense.
I was mistaken about a lot of things....However, I was not mistaken
that there is no proof a vendor inside the USA can offer at the time
of sale that his/her plants were legally obtained or descended from
legally obtained stock...no matter how many pieces of paper he/she
can offer to staple to your receipt. The original CITES import
document stapled to a receipt can only mean that at some point in the
past the species (not necessarily the plant you are buying) was
imported legally (and not necessarily by the person with the stapler.

If CITES enforcement arm is going to come knocking on your door
asking for proof and they make a legal charge that the plants you own
are not legal, you are probably a plant importer and/or vendor and
you have done something to draw their attention. It is very unlikely
that they will show up as a result of a purchase from a vendor
already inside this country and nobody else should be questioning the
legality of plants you own or buy inside this country and that
includes the AOS as far as I can determine. At any rate, save your
receipts... :-) I don't why, it just seems wise.
And stop asking ME for proof if you want to buy one of my Ho Chi Minh
or vietnamesis. I'd be a fool to offer them for sale in public if I
didn't believe they were legal. And all I can offer you is a
receipt. I can staple something to it from Antec if it makes you
happy but this is NOT "proof". To be honest, all I can do is make
the written claim the plants came from antec on the receipt and sign
it. You can believe it or not. It is not "proof" but it is the best
any legitimate vendor can offer with regard to these two plants.

Stop me before I type again... Somebody help!

"Al" wrote in message

At several local show/sales, this plant has been available for sale
in bud by the tray full, so this plant is here in the USA in great
numbers.