Old 20-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default tomato pollination

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:18:01 -0500, Frank
wrote:

Thanks for your responses. Here in middle Georgia hornworms are
serious pests. In spite of their huge size they are difficult to spot
because they are the eaxct same color as the tomatoe plants. One
nights work by them is almost unmbelievable...looks like a mammal
has grazed upon the plant. If I go away from hokme for several days
some of plants will have no leaves when I return. There is also a
sucking insect that leaves big white spots where they suck on the
fruits...eventually causing rot....I suspect , but am not certain,
that stinkbugs may be the culprit. Plenty of them around.

There's a good reason why I prefer northern gardening to
more southern gardening.

Our main enemy here seems to be cold. It's pretty easy to
fight cold. You cover up the plants, or have a cold frame,
or WalloWaters, or unheated greenhouse - or any combination
of the above.

But the more southern places where I gardened had an awful
lot of insect/disease problems.

Pat
--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY