Old 05-09-2006, 04:53 PM posted to austin.gardening
deepeddygirl deepeddygirl is offline

Default Fall / winter vegetable garden

Mike Harris wrote:

"deepeddygirl" wrote in message

Mike Harris wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on what y'all plant this month?

I like chard, beets and the brassicas, but my Loving Bride does not.
Lettuce is about the only cool weather crop that I plant that she enjoys
so I'm wanting to diversify.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Going by the Travis County Extension calendar, I'm planting snap beans,
parsley, snap peas, and snow peas. I just got the potatoes in the
ground - a bit after 9/1, but it's been so damn hot, I put it off. I did
plant some cucs last month and they are finally coming up.

Do you have any experience with any of these? Any varieties you
particularly favor or that have worked well for you?

Perhaps I should clarify. I'm quite familiar with the Extension calendar of
course; I was hoping for a little bit more detail beyond "Peas, Garden -
September & October."

Thanks,
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

OIC - sorry about that! Not really, I'm getting my first garden in after
a 15-year hiatus. I have had good success with seeds purchased at
Emerald Garden (290West) and the plants purchased at Natural Gardener.
It would have been perfect if I had been able to get my hands on a
banana pepper, but oh well - there is always next year.