Old 05-09-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default just aquired a new allotment

David (in Normandy) wrote:
There are chemicals and chemicals, it is a question of degree of toxicity
and using the right chemical in the correct way in the correct place.
Someone suggested using Sodium Chlorate on a veg plot - to me that is way
over the top. Not only would it kill the weeds but also probably the
earthworms and beneficial insects and remain in the soil exhibiting its
toxicity for many months.

Agreed entirely. Also - it does take 12 years for a farmer to switch to
organic farming because it takes that long for the soil to recover.
When I knew this I compared it to the average urban garden and my heart
sank.

Did you know ... Soil Association wrote: "around 31,000 tonnes of
chemicals are used in farming in the UK each year to kill weeds,
insects and other pests that attack crops and, in 2004, 40% of the
fruit, vegetable and bread samples tested in the UK contained
pesticides. There is very little control over how these chemicals are
used in the non-organic sector and in what quantities or combinations".

Again, in the context of an urban garden, or small rural garden, just
imagine the damage amateurs are doing to the soil and their
environment. What bother me most is the fact that chemicals
manufacturers change the names of the products when that product has
had a bad press, as Roundup has had!

I use Glyphosate and bramble specific weedkillers (reluctantly) in some
heavily weeded areas. Our land had been left untouched by the previous
owners for approx 15 years and was a jungle of brambles, bindweed, knettles,
docks, thistles and elder flower trees etc. My "garden" is over an acre in
size and I simply don't have the time, physical health or inclination to be
bent double "weeding" that area by hand. Chemicals are just another 'tool'
in the garden shed and can do a good job when used correctly.

You've got 1 acre and understandably you feel you need help. But I
walked around 1 acre this morning, to see for myself what I would do.
Surely you do not 'cultivate' 1 acre with food crops!? Therefore, you
don't need to eradicate all your brambles and nettles. Why not just
keep pockets of natural habitats which will be, as you know, beneficial
to your garden and environment and just cut out by hand, dig out by
hand, what you feel is too much.

Why do you feel you need to see a result quickly? Why the hurry? We
admire cottage gardens, French gardens for their variety, coulour and
'wild' look. Do you think this is achieved by using chemicals? Off
course not. It's achieved with patience and understanding, and with the
help of pollinating insects.

I do not disagree with you, but I think that if you would remove the
glyphosate from your shed, you'd be so perfect )