Old 05-09-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default just aquired a new allotment

Martin wrote:
It says a MINIMUM of two years (three years for top fruit orchards)

Up to 5 years when animals are grasing. I'm trying to find where I read
it - I had taken notes of it during my course (and had mentioned it on
this forum ages ago too) because it concerned old farmers. Sadly those
in their 60s couldn't contemplate such a long time in 'conversion
period', because of their age but mostly because of the financial
implication it brings regardless of the high yields they'll get at the
end. Laws have changed since then, grants and financial supports are
available too, however, for the soil to fully recover, it was 12 years,
and in this case I remember a programme with the same recovery period
time for Jordan's cereal company and the difficulties the chap had
encountered. Perhaps that's what I should have written and not
'conversion period time' to be 12 years. There's also different type of
'organic branding' associated with different 'conversion period. In any
case I'll check my notes at home tonight ... and will get back to you
)