Old 05-09-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller Rhiannon Macfie Miller is offline

Default Naubergines

Cat(h) wrote:
You could sprinkle the slices with coarse sea salt first, and let the
salt draw out the excess water for a couple of hoursin the fridge,

then
wipe salt and moisture and follow rest of recipe.

I had hoped that growing them ourselves and eating them fresh and young
direct from the greenhouse would negate the necessity for salting them
(not to remove excess water as such, but to remove the bitter compounds
dissolved in said water – some people are lucky enough not to be able to
taste them, but I'm not one of them). Unfortunately, judging by the
ones I harvested the other day, this does not seem to be true. Does
anyone else find that they can eat their aubergines without salting?

Rhiannon