Old 05-09-2006, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane Jane is offline

Default Naubergines

"Rhiannon Macfie Miller" wrote .
Does
anyone else find that they can eat their aubergines without salting?

I've never salted mine and they taste just fine. However, the following is
from Delia Smith's website:

"Chefs and cooks seem to have an endless debate about aubergines: to salt
and drain, or not to salt and drain. I'm for the former. I do take the point
that the modern aubergine has evolved to a state where it does not contain
bitter juices, but the juices are there, nonetheless, and I find salting and
draining gets rid of excess moisture and concentrates the flavour - there's
nothing worse than a watery aubergine.

Aubergines also have a capacity to absorb other flavours, so are great mixed
with tomatoes and spices, cheese or pulses. They also absorb oil at an
incredible rate, so frying is not recommended. I find the best way to cook
them is either by oven-roasting or char-grilling."