Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] peter@bullandbearwise.com is offline

Default How much mulch will a chipper yield?

Thanks for your reply. My wheelbarrow is 6 cubic feet. I figure I have
at least as much untrimmed branches still attached that I could
probably fill the wheelbarrow. Doesn't seem to cost effective to rent
as they want $133 for gour hours at the local Home Depot. I can buy a
lot more than 6 cubic feet of mulch for $100.

Peter

Wolf K wrote:
wrote:
I'm looking to buy/rent a chipper to go through my pile of dead
branches I've collected this year. I'd say I have 20 10-foot untrimmed
branches up to 2 inches thick to feed the monster. How much mulch will
that yield (ballpark)? Will it fill a wheelbarrow?

Thanks,

Peter

Use your high school math (if you can remember that far back :-))

Assume 1.5" average thickness, then volume is pi * 0.75^2 * 120 * 20 --
4239 cubic inches, not counting the untrimmed bits. A cubic foot is 1728
cubic inches. So you have at least 2-1/2 cubic feet before chipping.
Chipping will easily double volume because of air entrainment. How big
is your wheelbarrow?

HTH