Old 05-09-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Al[_1_] Al[_1_] is offline

Default CITES plants and hybrids: AOS judging & showing

Hummm...., okay. My Orchids magazines go back much furthur than my AQ.

BTW, Roddy's last is name Gabel, not Gobels, my mistake. I have refered to
him in this thread by the wrong last name. His title at CITES is "Chief,
Division of Scientific Authority" (head of the office that deals with
scientific issues as they pertain to CITES). I have quoted/paraphrased him
a few times in this thread from either memory or from emails....for good or
ill. :-) He is a member of the National Capitol Orchid Society, so I know
him. He is the person I email when I have a questions about a plant or
flask I want to buy from vendors inside the USA, some of them importers...
His basic response is, keep your paperwork. :-) I have seen at least one
little blurb in orchids written by him; the one I am thinking of is the
announcement a year or so ago that CITES permits had recently been granted
by Peru for Phrag kovachii to enter this country. I don't know if writing
articles and making announcements in Orchids Magizine like this is part of
his job description or what.... I do seem to remember a list of illegals
posted someplace...but this list will change over time as permits are issued
and so would this somewhat mythical published guidline IF it lists the
plants not to be judged without proof. I want to see what it lists as
proof.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I think that may have been in 'Orchids' I *think* Roddy Gable wrote a list
of illegal paphs. I went back through my AQs, but only 3-4 years and
couldn't find the list or policy, but know they published a list of
illegals.