Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jtill jtill is offline

Default Phrag. light and culture?

Weng wrote 'Apple Green' and I have heard the correct green described
many times but 'Apple Green' is best. I have on occasion bought a
Granny Smith apple just to gauge my plant's color as that has been hard
for me to visualize. I sneak around when making the color test as it
would look strange holding out an apple to an orchid but it shows me I
still don't have them in enough light!
Joe T
Color Blind in Baytown

Weng wrote:
Nancy G. Wrote:

Do you all think it is too late in the season to move them to more
light? The temps have moderated somewhat into the mid 80's during the
day, down into the upper 50's to 60's F at night.
N.

Many orchids in the wild get more light in Winter because the trees
overhead shed their leaves. But as it is cooler, their leaves can
tolerate more light without burning. So give them more light all year
round.

I recall a talk by Eric Christenson in which he describes the phrags he
saw in full sun. Whilst I wouldn't go that far with cultivated phrags,
mine get more light than my cattleyas. The leaves should be an apple
green.

Weng

--
Weng