Old 05-09-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson Susan Erickson is offline

Default CITES plants and hybrids: AOS judging & showing

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 14:03:03 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

Found it.

AQ vol 32, no 4, pg 289. Dec 2001.

At that point in time the new edition of the handbook was being written and
(according to this article) in the forward of the new edition there was to
be written wordage about the concern the AOS has for CITES.

" The last several years have seen growing concern with the situation
regarding orchids acquired in contravention of existing international
agreements. The American Orchid Society makes plain its intent to respect
and abide by these agreements and will not knowingly violate them.
Consequently, plants that do not conform to known parameters for legal
acquisition will not be judged or considered for any AOS award."

-----------------------------
I have to go back to work, now, but I'll look up the forward of teh Handbook
11th ed to see what they actually wrote. One could always ask if the
forward to a document is actually legislatable... but I'll leave it for now.

K Barrett

The Foreword is almost the same word for word. Then a statement of
purpose of AOS judging... Nothing new or more definitive. They
updated in Sept. 2002 but the changes did not start until page 12.
So no changes there.

I understand there is a new book in the works... but not when it will
be out.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids