Old 06-09-2006, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Nancy G. Nancy G. is offline

Default CITES plants and hybrids: AOS judging & showing

And mo
Does anybody really read any of this crap? :-)

Yes, as a matter of fact we do.

http://www.usbg.gov/plant-collection...ietnamense.cfm

http://www.cites.org/common/com/PC/1...rtificate %22

http://pollenatrix.blogspot.com/2003...im-really.html

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/conservatio...e%20legally%22

I actually think the certificate people have mentioned to you started
out as a marketing ploy by other sellers, a way to reassure potential
customers. Possibly wasn't deliberate but then again, if they (other
sellers) can make the buyer paranoid or doubtful as to the integrity of
other sellers or source of the product, then by reason they should be
able to sell more. I saw a blurb about the certificate, it may have
been about Phrag kovachii, later confused with Paph vietnamense, but
the effect was the same. If it will endanger my collection or send me
to prison, do I want to buy a plant without the certificate?

What the heck, for $12 anyone can buy a package of parchment paper and
using power point, print a certificate. It may increase the value and
be reflected in the price. I received or printed them for all
occasions. I had templates for all occasions, Certificates of
Completion for training, Certificates of Appreciation, etc.

Would you want to provide a certificate? Probably not, but then you
probably could if you wanted. If you do, keep it pompous and obscure
like Navy certificates. I've seen those for "plank owners", crossing
the equator, and polar bears for north of the arctic circle. "Hear
yea, Hear yea. Let all citizens, government officials, and A.O.S
judges, know by sight and sound that (insert person's name here) has
legally purchased a (plant name here) of X# divisions on (this date).
Said plant was propagated in vitro by (insert lab name here) under the
auspices of the United States Botanical Gardens with approval by
C.I.T.E.S. from impounded or imported plants, satisfying the
international agreements in effect. The plant described above was
purchased on the open market from (insert name here) . ....

You could probably make a fortune printing new certificates as the
plants grew, updating the number of divisions for your customers.
Anyway they look really good with red and gold scroll. ;-)

Of course, it would lead to the question on how you could trace a
single certificate to an individual plant anyway. It's not as if you
could take a print or tattoo a leaf. I'm just looking forward to the
day when I can afford to buy one and risk its early demise.

Nancy