Old 20-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Ted Byers

Default Sulking phals

While I seem to be doing well with my catts, even though several have
lost pseudobulbs because of the winter dryness and one has apparently
died from it, my phals seem to be sulking. Even though I rebloomed
one, not one of them has put out a new leaf; and a couple have lost
one or two leaves. With only two exceptions, they were all either
repotted after the last flower faded or had been repotted a few months
before I bought them (since the medium looks new, and rains a little
too fast for my taste). Apart from several dends which are in moss,
all my orchids are in either medium coconut husk chips or coir fibre,
and with a handful of exceptions, I am using clay pots.

Should I be worried that they haven't put out new leaves? Is there
some seasonality in leaf production in phals? Is there anything I can
do to stimulate leaf production? Should I forget about phals and
focus on catts and dends? Or is it a question of them being stressed
by the winter dryness and they'll put out new growth once summer
arrives with all its unbearable heat and humidity (while my plants may
love it, I suffer badly from heat, especially combined with high
humidity - living in Singapore for a couple of years was not fun for
me!)?

Cheers,

Ted