Old 06-09-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default Suggestions for plants, please

In message , Uncle Marvo
writes
That's the trouble with blokes, so I'm told. They like unusual things like
cotinus, cacti, etc. Women like more trad plants which blokes might find
boring :-)

Is this just me, I wonder?

My favourite plants, other than cacti, include fushcia (the bush sort),
buddliea, cotinus cog, and most gaudy things or plants with unusual and
bright colouring. But then I'm at least partially insane.

Now isn't that a funny thing? These are probably my least favourite
plants ... But I like many other bright plants, though, admittedly,
probably not jumbled up. But I also find I now love the plants I was
surrounded by most as a child: portulacas, which had been planted in
gaps at the back of steps in my grandmother's house, which I called
"worm plants" because of their leaves, pelargoniums, tulips, lilacs,
acacias, lime trees.... and generally plants that prefer alkaline to
acid soil (so, of course, now we live on really acid soil...)

Though cacti (my oldest daughter's great love) don't excite me that much
- my favourite there are succulents!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin