Old 06-09-2006, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord Starlord is offline

Default Can anyone identify this?

Out here in the High Mojave Desert it grows wild, but I have found out that
Gophers will NOT eat it's roots, so I'm planing on making a barrier of it
around my garden! That will be an awesome project too.

In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote in message
. com...
Daisy wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could identify a plant for me. You can see
it at the following link:

http://tinyurl.com/p33o4

It was seen in a perennial bed on the coast of Maine (zone 5, I think)
yesterday. It looks tropical, but wasn't in a container, so must be
pretty hardy.

Thanks!

Definitely a Datura (Jimson weed, thornapple, devil trumpet, loco
weed,etc.) Probably either D. inoxia or D.stramonium . Not sure.
Highly toxic, do not eat/rub your eyes etc. after handling. Folks have
died from trying to get high/hallucinate from the seeds/whatever. A kid in
germany cut off his own tongue and penis while using a tea from a datura
or related brugmansia IIRC.
The flowers last only about a day, opening at night to be pollinated by a
large moth. There are several cultivated varieties - some purple, double
purple, yellow, etc. Does well in sun/heat.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)