Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default PH Meter

"Mr.pH" wrote in message
oups.com...
hob wrote:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality PH meter.......Digital

or
analog meter, doesn't matter, provided that it is reliable. The one I

got
from my local garden center reads 7 for all areas of my garden. I

knew it
was a dud when I placed it in pure lime juice, and it still read a PH

of
7.

All the meters that I know work on the same principle - bascially, they

read
the electric potential between two parts (metals) of the shaft, or the
electric potential between two side-by-side different-metal shafts,

using
the soil.

Check out this site for pH meter and pH measurements details:

http://www.ph-meter.info

Best,
Mr.pH

Interesting site. How is it relevant to the original question? Are there
any glass electrode portable systems suitable for use in the garden? How
much do they cost? For garden or agricultural purposes why would you need
accuracy down to decimal points of a pH unit?

David